What is Portfolio Photography? Portfolio photography encompasses the art of taking high quality images that can be used commercially.
The best way to describe what is Portfolio Photography is… well, it is the type of photography that you would take if you were going on a shopping trip instead of a vacation!
Portfolio photography covers all the bases of picture taking, but it focuses mainly on high-quality, fashion centered pictures.In other words, what is Portfolio Photography really about?
- A. It is a type of photography portfolio, filled with images of models being photographed by an expert photographer. Usually, these images are shot while the model is in front of the camera, but sometimes, the model will be behind the camera (in a portrait setting). Whatever the case, what is portfolio photography is a way for you to show your work to the world.
- B. So, what is portfolio photography? When you want to get hired as a model for commercials, print media events, magazine spreads, catalogs, or corporate photo shoots, the first thing you need to do is create a series of high-quality images that you can use in these settings. This is why it is important for you to have a series of high quality commercial photography shoots under your belt. You want to show the company or magazine that you have more than just a portfolio of fashion pictures.
- C. Why should you create a portfolio? Portfolio photography shows the world what type of photographer you are, and how creative you are in your field. It also is a great way to demonstrate to potential photographers that you are not above hiring a large, expensive agency to represent and manage your portfolio for you. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.
- D. What is portfolio photography used for? When you are looking to hire a model, a commercial photographer, a magazine style photographer to photograph a wedding, or even a fashion photographer for a wedding, what is portfolio photography used for? These are questions that commercial photographers ask themselves all the time, and they ask themselves every single time they take a job. If you take multiple jobs with different agencies, the portfolio that you create can serve as the basis for what is portfolio photography used for.
- E. What is portfolio photography used for in advertising? There are many types of portfolios out there that the average person creates. Most portfolios will include text that is all over the place, but a well-created portfolio will have a certain theme that is consistent throughout all of the images. The theme of what is portfolio photography used for can be your experience, your passions, your skills, or your love of animals.
- F. What is portfolio photography used for in fashion? The answer to what is portfolio photography can change from year to year, but there are some trends that are always popular. Bright colors, beautiful women (especially models), and creative shots of beautiful people are always favorites. Many fashion portfolios also have a “chase” element to them, where the photographer takes a shot, then keeps it in the portfolio for a certain amount of time. Then, based on the response from clients, they might decide to use that particular image for their fall campaign.
- G. What is portfolio photography used for in advertising? When it comes to what is portfolio photography, you have to think about what is going to be in your portfolio the most. If you are a magazine writer, then you want to focus on being a magazine writer. If you are a fashion photographer, then you want to be a fashion photographer. However, with all careers, there are always a few things that will always be a part of your portfolio regardless of what type of photography you do.